Pages

Sep 20, 2012

Friday Focus - September 21

After recently reading John Hattie's book Visible Learning for Teachers and our training this week on giving student surveys for the Teacher Effectiveness Project, I've got the topic of feedback on my brain.

I know that many of you have already been in the practice of surveying your students for feedback, but these standard/"official" surveys are new to us and I recognize concerns you may have with them.  While I know that some are worried about what certain students may put on their surveys, I hope to steer you away from that concern, because it is not about who has higher student survey ratings.  The purpose for student surveys is to give students a chance to share how they perceive the learning environment and give you feedback on the learning environment for your professional reflection.  In the session with MS/HS faculty, one of the teachers said that surveys give a chance for all students to speak up and often it's the quietest students that give valuable feedback.  It also gives you the opportunity to see learning through the eyes of your students.

As we said in the training, students are the primary consumers of your teaching and are in the best position to give feedback.  Likewise, you are the primary consumers of my work and are in the best position to give me feedback.  I have asked for your feedback in the past on various surveys and have valued your input to help me reflect and improve in my position.  The feedback has been both validating of the work I'm doing and, on the other hand, has been hard to take at time due to differing perceptions.  I've learned to take a step back to not take constructive criticism personally, but to reflect professionally on how I can improve.  Each time, your feedback has been extremely important to me (I have been reviewing last survey's feedback every 2 weeks!).

I appreciate your dedication to continual reflection/learning to benefit student learning.

Now speaking of feedback...I have another quick survey (just 2 questions) to ask for your feedback! Please go HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment