Pages

Jan 1, 2013

My Reading Resolutions for 2013

Welcome back Dodgeland family!  I'm sharing with you my Reading Resolutions for 2013 that I recently posted on my professional blog.  I will be writing up a shorter version to post on my "What Mrs. Johnson is reading" sign on the library door that doesn't give as many details for the students to read.  

I'm looking forward to seeing you all back for the New Year, to see your class reading resolutions and what each of you do with your doors to model yourselves as readers for your students.  Have a Great Week! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For 2011 I read 26 books and then almost doubled it this past year with a total of 51 books. Out of that 51, 30 were fiction and 21 were non-fiction.  These titles included professional education books, novels for personal enjoyment, parenting books and chapter books I read to my 6 year-old.  As I've previously written inTHIS POST I have learned that the more fiction I read, the more I enjoy reading and the more I end up reading.

My Reading Resolutions for 2013 are:
1. Use Goodreads to track my reading.  I've been convinced by Donalyn Miller to use Goodreads to track my books, keep a to-read list, and connect with others on books I'm reading. I spent time today exploring this site and can already feel a blog post coming on about how neat it is!
2. Have family "Read-to-Self" time with my kids. Read-to-Self is one of the components of Daily5 in our school that my son is familiar with.  This will be a chunk of time (at least 15 minutes, because that's all he can handle right now) that he can read whatever he wants (not to me) while I also read myself.  This will be a win-win for both of us! (I realize I did say kids plural--I'm hoping that the 2 year-old can be quiet that long looking at books or listening to books on the iPad).
3. Read 1 professional book a month I will probably end up reading more, but I want to focus on reading more fiction so I'm not so boring!
4. Read 280 books. I'm not as crazy as I sound, I swear!  As I was exploring Goodreads today, my son thought it was cool and asked if we could keep track of the books I read to him (and his brother) on there too, so out of the 280 goal, I expect 225 to be for picture books and 55 to be for novels, professional books, and kids' chapter books.

1 comment:

  1. I am a bit late doing this but I really wanted to share my reading and blogging resolutions with you. Reading Resolutions. How to read fast

    ReplyDelete