Pages

Jan 8, 2016

Friday Focus - January 8, 2016

Great Things I Noticed this Week:
I enjoyed my time being in each classroom to read and talk about books/reading with students. I was truly amazed by how many of our students/classes are so passionate about books. Our students are already on track to be lifelong readers---they know how to steal minutes of reading time throughout their day, they know how to make plans for their next books to read, where/who/how to get ideas for additional books to read...everything that Donalyn Miller's research on lifelong readers found in her book Reading in the Wild. 

Events Next Week: Crossing Guard Recognition Week
Monday - I will be making an announcement about Crossing Guard Recognition week to ask for students to sign some cards at lunch time (our crossing guards always come in for coffee on Tuesdays so I'd like to give them their cards then).
Wednesday - I'll be out of the building with some other staff for Educlimber training
*Just a reminder that grade level meetings were moved to January 27th

MAP Testing Follow-Up:
*Notes from your thoughts/discussion on Wednesday can be found HERE.
*We all recognize there are a number of factors that could hinder a student's score, just remember what is in your control ("crumple" up the list of those that aren't!). How you message the reason for MAP testing can help contribute to your students' growth mindset and purpose for putting their effort into it. By giving them breaks if they seem tired or breaking up each test into two sessions, you can eliminate students getting tired or bored during the test.
*If you will be wanting me to join you in your classroom or the lab for testing, please let me know ahead of time so I can get it on my calendar. If you have a testing emergency you can either email me or call me to help track me down.

*If you are testing on iPads:

  • Remember that issue with the site being blocked? Prevent that issue by showing your students this quick screencast BEFORE you get them started on testing: MAP Testing on iPads
  • 1 thing I forgot to address in our meeting is that you also need to check Casper focus to make sure all of your students are in there (if you got a new student and don't use Casper except for testing, then you will likely be missing them). The directions we followed to add students in Casper focus were HERE.  If you need help with this, please just email the name of who is missing and I can do it for you. 
Blogs, Tweets & Pins...Oh My!!!

If we expect students to embrace failure, we must model it. Must be safe to say “I tried this, & it didn’t work." via







No comments:

Post a Comment