Pages

Mar 22, 2019

Friday Focus - March 22, 2019


Great Things I Noticed this Week:
*Kindergartners using the SMARTNotebook app on their iPads at math time. They were so engaged on the carpet to solve the problems the teacher displayed on the smartboard.
*Kudos to the 3-5th grade teachers in preparing their students for the upcoming Forward exam. I've seen teachers thinking outloud for students to learn how to use process of elimination to answer a question that they don't feel they have the answer to. I've seen a teacher model how to read every answer choice to make sure they pick the right answer and not answer too quickly. I also saw students analyzing sample writing with a scoring rubric to understand what is expected of them in the writing portion of the Froward exam. During this, they made a list of "tips and tricks" for when they will be completing the writing session of the Forward.
*I've seen so many classrooms having conversations about colleges (or I saw the work after, like college pennants or student goals for college). I've had several students tell me at lunch time about the colleges they were researching. And of course I am in LOVE with the pictures of students in their future jobs. And if that wasn't cute enough, here is a picture from the Class of 2034...

Upcoming Events:
Wed-Friday Spring Break!!!  Rest, relax, rejuvenate!
Monday, April 1 - grades due by 7:30am (no joke for April fools day, that's for real!)
-EP Training (doc log/slo)
Tuesday, April 2 - Forward Proctor training (I don't have groups ready yet. If you've proctored before, plan on proctoring again. Please come to the training!)

Wednesday, April 3 - report cards to be distributed
 -Elementary staff meeting (including support staff) on trauma invested practices




"Nuts & Bolts" Notes:
*Make sure to put in your "back from spring break plans" to spend time rehearsing procedures and making time for relationship building. Don't forget the "Significant 72." By the way....I still have Greg's book if you want it!

*One of the questions in your feedback was regarding consistent expectations for coats at recess. I know that a black or white policy would make it easy for everyone, however,  that also creates battles with kids. Why? Because everyone feels different at the same temperature. I am freezing in my house at 68 degrees and my husband is warm. We all bundle up at 45 degrees in October, yet I've seen many already pull out sandals at 45 degrees now.

We are OK with kids taking their coats off at recess. If they are playing hard they start sweating and it's ok to take it off. Just think back to hard you played in our back to school Playworks training, how hot and sweaty you got. Now imagine putting your coat on.   We want kids to learn how to self-regulate their emotions...we can have them self-regulate if they need the coat on or off too.

If kids are cold, they will put the coat back on.

Don't sweat the small stuff. :)




Blogs, Tweets & Pins...Oh My
*I Got Nothing Done and It Was Great


Student names go on the back side of the post-it so you know how they're feeling






No comments:

Post a Comment