Pages

Sep 1, 2011

The first Friday Focus

In previous years I have always tried to have a weekly memo in which I included important information and an assortment of other things, such as links to articles, celebrations, my thoughts, etc.  This year I am planning to continue the memo (on Mondays), but also have a weekly "Friday Focus" to provide insight into a specific aspect of teaching and learning for all of us to reflect throughout the year. 

CC license shared by ice_birdy
Our First Friday

"Schools are not just buildings, curriculums, and machines. Schools are relationships and interactions among people." (Johnson & Johnson, 1989)

I hope everyone enjoyed a productive (and fast) couple of in-service days, Open House and First day of school.  I never lose the nervous edge I felt on my very first day of school when I began my career as a special education teacher in northern Minnesota.  As we begin a new school year, I hope you share my sense of excitement, rejuvenation, and anticipation of what will be a tremendous year of growth for our students and our staff.

As I will suggest on countless occasions during the course of this year, our success as professional educators will depend to some extent on our specific skills and the breadth of our knowledge base.  However, I firmly believe that our character and our human relations skills are even more vital to the ultimate success we experience with our students and our entire school community.  Nearly every great teacher I have worked with has excelled in the area of interpersonal skills.  Although no list of such traits can be thoroughly exhaustive, I do hope that you will peruse those offered below.  Let's focus on these human relations skills as we embark upon a noble journey: teaching young children who need and crave our guidance!
  • Help think of a solution to a problem you are encountering.
  • Be willing to admit when you're wrong.
  • Be able to laugh (have a good sense of humor) and cry (display empathy and sensitivity).
  • Take time to help others.
  • Remember how it felt to be a child and recognize how difficult the parenting role can be.
  • Be able to resolve conflicts between people.
  • Enjoy working with people of all ages.
  • Truly care about others. 
  • Realize that you can't please everyone.
  • Be optimistic about people's motives.
Thank you all for your extraordinary efforts this week; thank you all for the human relations skills you already possess and practice daily.  Let's remember the importance of these as we progress through this year.  I can't wait to see you all in action next week (after I finish reading to all classrooms).  You hold the keys to success for our students; unlock their hearts and their minds.

Happy Weekend,
Jessica :)

No comments:

Post a Comment