Pages

Sep 29, 2011

Friday Focus -Homecoming Friday

"Teaching without learning isn't teaching at all, it's just presenting."
 ~Mark Johnson, Superintendent

As I reflect back on the video clip of Becky DuFour that we watched in our meeting last week and I think about the shift from teaching to a focus on learning, I think about the great things that our teachers already do that shows they are focused on student learning.
As I'm out in classrooms I notice a common theme among our best teachers at Dodgeland--they rarely sit behind their desks.  I've asked some of our teachers when do they ever sit at their desk? I thought for sure the answer would be "never," but have been surprised by what I have learned:
-"Only in the beginning stages of launching Daily 5 and students are building their independence."
-"When I want students to be completely independent with a test/task and then I'm not tempted to offer help if I see them choosing the wrong answer on a test."
-"When I have to get attendance into PowerSchool before 8:30!!"
-"When they're in a special or it's lunch time."
-"I do sit, it's just not at my desk...it's next to a student when I'm conferring."

So, what are the best teachers doing when they're not at their desks?
-Building rapport with students.
-Circulating the room to check student progress, offering feedback and praise.
-Paying attention to student behaviors that might signal they are struggling.
-Checking to see which students are struggling to answer questions and provide additional guided practice as needed.
-Using proximity to get an off-task student back on track.
-Talking to individual students or small groups with a voice soft enough that it doesn't distract the rest of the class (you can't do that from your desk).
-Checking the guided practice math problems to make sure it is something they can do indpendently for homework.
-Recording formative assessment data.
-Conferring with individual students for reading/writing during Daily 5 time.
-Meeting with a reading group during Daily 5 time.

In addition to our great teachers, we also have great support staff/student specific aides that are just as focused on student learning.  I see these exceptional ladies interacting with students all day long to help them be successful in the classrooms!

Our students are so fortunate to have such great staff at Dodgeland that are focused on learning and students' individual needs.  I know I've shared quotes with you from Todd Whitaker before, but as I think about our great teachers, I have to share this one again:  "In a great teacher's classroom, nothing hapens randomly.  Great teachers have intentional decisions for everything."  Our great teachers are even intentional with when they decide to sit down!

No comments:

Post a Comment