Pages

Mar 29, 2012

Friday Focus - Happy Spring Break!!!

Solitude, reflection, and silence replenish
our energies and open our minds.
 
Be sure students have time alone
to explore their own thoughts,
make their own connections,
and create their own ideas.
 
Then give them the opportunity
to exchange their reflections with each other
and with adults.

"I don't retreat from the world to escape, but to return stronger." ~Robert Frost


Thank you to everyone for your continued dedication and focus on learning during this last week of the quarter.  I can recall the last year that we had a spring break having numerous discipline issues arise, but I think that since you have all kept focus, so have the students. Excitement is in the air as everyone anticipates the Spring Break to rest, rejuvenate and have some fun!  While other professions may be jealous of teachers getting spring break off, I recognize and appreciate that many of you also use some of this time to catch up and "sharpen the saw."

Did you know that while quiet reflection is an individual process, it also has the ability to strengthen community ties? I recently read somewhere (and wrote it down, but neglected to include the source), "people often return from quiet reflection or solitude with a renewed appreciation for the people around them."

How fortunate our students are to have you as a great model for learning, because you are continuously learning and reflecting on your own as professionals and modeling that for your students. No doubt, our students will also return with a renewed appreciation  for their school community.


Reflection prompt for your journals
....what are you doing to "sharpen the saw" over break? 
I'll share my plans with you:

*Reflect on my personal/professional goals from the start of the year
*Read the book Mindset (here's the blog post I read that inspired me to get this book)
*Read/learn more about Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
*Spend some time learning a couple of web 2.0 tools I've seen others raving about on twitter that I want to know how to use (scoop.it, Instapaper and dropbox -please let me know if you already use any of these and can help!)
*Catch up and planning for 4th quarter (what things have I slacked on and need to step it up, like getting the End of Year Picnic plans going and bringing back our American Treasures theme to the forefront)
*Spend time relaxing, playing at LegoLand in Chicago, enjoying my family and seeing what my house looks like in the daylight!


No comments:

Post a Comment