Pages

Sep 18, 2014

Friday Focus - September 19, 2014


Great Things I Noticed This Week:

  • One class was so quiet in the hallway that they walked by me while I was talking to a teacher and I did not even know they went by me (I was waiting to talk to a student from that class and missed them!)
  • 3rd graders working on independently writing interesting leads to their narratives and then excitedly sharing out their different ideas.
  • Special ed/support/pupil services staff going above and beyond to help with a student safety issue--it wasn't their duty, but they heard a call for help and ran (literally) to help!
  • A class read-aloud, stopping to check for comprehension and discuss what was happening in the story.  The read-aloud selection was interesting to the class, because it's an upcoming movie that many students want to see (and the beginning of a series that many may want to keep on reading).
  • Students sharing Keynote presentations with the class with great visuals to match their information and quick transitions in airplaying their iPads to the projector from student to student...they're like little tech gurus!
  • Thank you to everyone involved with MAP testing...whether it has been testing your class, helping out a colleague when there was an issue, or adding additional students to your test session that needed additional time to finish.  You are all getting to be MAP Proctor pros!
Events Next Week: Homecoming Spirit Week!
Monday - Color Day 
Tuesday - Western Day
   Tech Tuesday (topic: printing from teacher laptops)
Wednesday - Sports Day
 3:05 Effectiveness Project Training (see my email to all staff Thursday afternoon for all the details)
Thursday - Hawaiian Day
  ELL Meeting in IMC at 3:05 (for classroom teachers with ELL students - an email was sent to them)
Friday - Purple Pride Spirit Day
Staff apparel orders due. Go to http://ameriprintapparel.com, select "online stores" and "dodgeland staff")
  Pep Rally (I'm still waiting with you all on finding out the start time)
 2:30 Early dismissal
 4:30 Parade

"Nuts & Bolts" Notes:
*MAP testing-you should have taken your class to the lab for both Reading and Math by next Friday. If the majority of your class needs additional time then you'll need to schedule another day/time for them. If you have just a handful and know a neighbor class will be going, ask to send them with (I can help explain how to add them to test sessions). I will start make-up testing for others possibly by Thursday (if there are any open lab times).  
*My memos are emailed to you, but sometimes you may not see an image or be able to view a youtube clip in that email. If that ever happens, just go to the blog site: www.johnsonmemo.blogspot.com to view it. Remember, you can always use the right side toolbar to see the staff calendar and be able to click on previous months for other posts if you need anything. 
*Thank you for your work together on the literacy indicators. I've created a google form using your work and want to share it with you below. My intentions were to use this when I'm in classrooms during literacy time to collect information to look for trends across the school, but I have had some teachers ask me if I would be sharing it with them individually so I'd like to ask everyone's opinion on this.  Please take a look at this and ask yourself if you would like to see this checklist completed after I am in your room? As I shared with you before, I hesitate to use a checklist, because I know that if I'm only in your room for a short period of time, I am not going to see everything and I don't want anyone frustrated that a box isn't checked just because I didn't see it.  Ponder this and let me know your thoughts in this survey by Friday please. Thank you!

Blogs, Tweets & Pins...Oh My!

Archives for tonight's chat. Topic: Uninspired Readers






















No comments:

Post a Comment