Pages

Sep 29, 2017

Friday Focus - September 29, 2017


Great Things I Noticed this Week:
*A quick reference to the CHAMPS expectations before sending students off in partners to work.
*1st graders giving "number flashes" for the page number to turn to as a way to fit in extra practice to build their number sense.
*At the start of a lesson, students were given a minute to turn and talk to restate the lesson objective in their own words.
*5th graders solving problems with fractions in a variety of ways, using the strategies of their choice, from the many different ways they have learned.
*Several staff going out of their way to assist with student issues multiple times this week.

Events Next Week: Homecoming
Monday - Captain America Monday (Wear red/white/blue)
 Mentors PLC mtg at 3:15

Tuesday - Moana/Lilo and Stitch Day (Hawaiian)
It's Mid-Quarter already...reports for P/T Conferences

Wednesday - Toy Story Day (Western)
Staff Mtg 3:10 in IMC

Thursday - Alice in Wonderland (Crazy)

Friday - Purple Pride Day
Assembly - ??time?? (I'm waiting to hear back on the time)
Early Release at 2:20, parade line-up 4:00, parade at 4:30

"Nuts & Bolts" Notes:
*Please let me know if you have any P/T conferences that you would like me to be a part of. 
*Wednesday's staff meeting includes: staff share on PT conferences and a poverty simulation activity. Please bring your laptop and a tip/resource to share with your colleagues on having successful P/T conferences.
*If you see me recording video in your room in the mornings...I'm working on creating a video for parents that demonstrates the importance of being to school on time and that a lot happens in the first 10 minutes of school. My hope is for this video to be on constant loop play at P/T conferences.

**Now that we are in full swing (it's already October next week!) I'm getting into classrooms as much as I can. I have several goals when I'm in classrooms and when I'm in your room it could vary:
-I may be there to check-in with a student (and hopefully prevent them from visiting me in the office!). If you ever feel my presence seems to help a particular student behave better...just let me know and I can take some paperwork with me to just sit in the back and catch up on my own work while just being in your room.
-I may not want to go back to the piles on my desk and would much rather hang out with kids! (FYI: if you're ever having a rough day, there's nothing like the random comments of 4K kiddos to make you laugh!)
-I may be staying to observe student learning and provide you with feedback. 

When I'm in your room and stay for a while with my iPad, there's a good chance you will receive an email or a mylearningplan form from me as a means of providing you with feedback. My narrative emails will often include "I noticed..." with what I see happening in the room and "I wonder..." or another reflective question. These are reflective questions that you can just ponder, reply or have a discussion with me. As I have shared each year, my goal is to be in your classrooms with a "coaching hat." I may pose a question to you that stretches your thinking that is not meant to be intrusive or evaluatory, but is a question to have you reflect on why you do what you do. When you are reflective and consciously aware of why you do what you do, you will continue to utilize effective strategies for students in your classroom. So, unless I specifically say, "I have a concern..." then you have nothing to be nervous about when I'm in your room. I am just in there wearing my "coaching hat."

If you ever feel you need more or different feedback, please don't hesitate to let me know what you need!

Blogs, Tweets & Pins...Oh My!!!
*When Reading is Trash or Magic - I love the student voice in this post!









No comments:

Post a Comment