Pages

Nov 20, 2011

Monday Memo - Thanksgiving Week

Great Things I Noticed Last Week:
*I have been seeing a variety of uses of the SMARTBoard in every grade level:
-display of shared reading poem/passage and students got to come to the board to highlight the star words
-interactive science diagrams (I don't even know how you make those!)
-opportunity for students to show how to solve math problems (but the rest of the class also solving problems on small whiteboards so all were actively engaged)
-editing of DOL
-a student "job" of turning the smartboard on/off

Events This Week:
Wednesday: Lunch is 11:00-12:00 and early dismissal at 12:20
Staff Development 12:45 - 3:00

Short week :) Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday with your families! 

"Nuts & Bolts" Notes:
*Scholastic Book Fair Dollars: Each 4K-5th grade classroom teacher can spend up to $80 from the School Resource Catalog from what we earned at the book fair.  I only have one of these catalogs to shop from right now (but asked Scholastic to send a few more).  You will find a catalog and order form in the staff lounge.  Please complete your "shopping" by Friday, December 2 so I can place our order. 
*Next week on Tuesday, November 29th is our next Tech Tuesday. I know that several of you have been talking about Pinterest (one tool I don't fully "get" yet).  Some other tools that could be shared are: google docs, google calendar, google reader, google sites, diigo (online social bookmarking).  Please email me if there's something you want to share or something you would like to learn more about (or if you have smartboard requests!)
*This weekend I blogged about our Dodgeland Pride assembly and how we recognize students for their academic achievements here.  This sparked quite a discussion on twitter and in the comments on my blog which you can see.  There are quite a few schools that have done away with honor roll assemblies for a variety of reasons (they provide extrinsic motivation, further disengage students already not doing well, etc.)  There is a list of blog posts about doing away with assemblies here. The principals/teachers that responded to my blog and on twitter definitely challenged my thinking.  I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. Feel free to post comments below (you can use your name or stay anonymous).

No comments:

Post a Comment