Pages

Nov 6, 2011

Monday Memo - Week of November 7

Great things I noticed last week:
**After the WKCE test 4/5th graders were given surveys. Here are a couple of comments that I found interesting: "I like the WKCE, but I don't like that we get less learning time with our teacher." "I wanted to have CAFE in the morning."  I don't think I've ever seen students write that they missed learning time during the WKCE test. This is very telling of the passion for learning and intrinsic motivation we are instilling in our students.
**5K classes are already over 12 minutes for Daily 5 stamina!  I remember a time last year when we weren't even sure that Daily 5 was possible for 5K.  I have to add in my mom voice here that it is also my son's favorite part of the day...over recess (which has been his favorite part of each day since preschool)!
**One of our grade levels started collaborating on their weekly classroom newsletters. Instead of each writing their own every week, they're sharing ideas with each other to work smarter.

Events this week:
Monday - End of 1st Quarter already!
Tuesday - Art Show 4:00-6:00 If anyone is available to help anytime after 1:30 until 3:30, please come down to the commons to help us set up.
Wednesday - PowerSchool grades are due by 7:30 AM. Report cards will be printed and in your mailboxes for you to review (hopefully by lunch).
Thursday - Seussical performance in the elementary gym 2:00-2:45 (have students packed before just in case)
Friday - Report Cards sent home.
   -Veterans Day program 9:35 (We will hold the 2nd AM recess right after the assembly).
*I will be involved with MS/HS WKCE testing Tuesday-Thursday this week. 


"Nuts & Bolts" Notes
*Please review your report cards on Wednesday, make any necessary changes and email me the student names for report cards you need reprinted. I will reprint them Friday morning.

*I would love to add pictures of student work on the website. It could even be great writing pieces from your students.  Please let me know if I can highlight your students' work on the website.

*Just sharing the article "Why the Word 'Go' Is an Effective Classroom Management Strategy" from the Smart Classroom Management Blog.  I have actually observed this strategy be used effectively in a couple of our classrooms.

*If you're looking for any resources for Veterans Day, here is a wiki full of classroom resources.

Myself, Todd Whitaker, and Curt Rees
*Just sharing that I got to meet/talk with Todd Whitaker in person at the AWSA convention, I blogged about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment