Pages

Sep 22, 2013

Monday Musings - September 23, 2013

Image from Carlos Porto

Since we have gone school-wide with Daily 5/CAFE, the one thing I can say that cannot ever be shown in test scores is our students' interest for reading.  Over the past couple of years I have definitely seen a difference in our students' interest in reading; I see many students reading while waiting in the classroom, in the computer lab, in the lunch room, at recess and hear about them reading outside of school.  No test score will ever be able to show that we are creating lifelong readers at Dodgeland.

This weekend I received an email from one of our MS ELA teachers that values the work we are doing:

I want you to know that your hard work with the Daily Five and CAFE is paying off!  My students LOVE TO READ!  Even in between activities, some students have their nose in a book:)  It's changing the way I look at my instructional time, too, so Read to Self must be a priority.


Sometimes you don't get the satisfaction of seeing the impact of what you're doing, but I am grateful and appreciative that you're creating lifelong readers. 

I want to thank you all for the work that you have done and continue to do to model a passion for reading with your students--in your daily mini-lessons and in modeling yourself as a reader for your students!

No comments:

Post a Comment