Pages

Jan 6, 2014

Monday Musings - January 6, 2014

I hope you're staying warm on this extremely freezing day!
An upcoming date I forgot on the Friday Focus is:
 Tuesday, Jan 14th Department of Justice presentation on "NetSmartz." 10:00 3-5th grades, 10:45 K-2nd grades

Monday Musings -Reading Resolutions
You all do such a great job of modeling yourselves as readers for students and sharing your "reading lives" with them. I see this as you talk about yourselves as readers in mini-lessons, share with students what you're reading, have books posted on your door, etc.  To continue sharing my "reading life" with you, here are my reading resolutions:



Resolution_Read_Logo A new tradition for myself each New Year is to make Reading Resolutions, which I made last year in this post.  Just like any goal, I like to review my progress and make new goals. In 2013 my reading resolutions included:
  1. Use Goodreads to track my reading.  I have used it all year and love using Goodreads. I have found that I get many new book ideas added to my list, thanks to those that I follow on Goodreads that have similar book interests.
  2. Have family “Read-to-Self” time with my kids. With sports schedules, I haven't been as faithful to this as I would like. We read together everyday, but not as "read to self." I also realize that I often don't, because I don't trust that my son is reading. We just had a conversation about this and just as teachers need to extend that trust to their students that they are reading, I need to do the same at home with my own child!
 3. Read 1 professional book a month I wasn't faithful to finishing one each month, but I did read 12 total this year.
  4. Read 280 books. In this goal, 55 were to be for novels, professional books and kids' chapter books.  I hit 51, which is pretty darn close and I am almost certain that number would have been much lower if I hadn't made a goal at all (that's why goals are good to have!).  As for the rest adding up to 280 for picture books. I don't know. I wasn't faithful to adding books into Goodreads, because I would often read those books to my kids at bedtime, doze off and forget to put them in. I'm not going to put pressure/guilt on myself about recording these this year.
 I liked these goals last year and am going to basically stick with them again:
  2014 Reading Resolutions
 1. Read 55 books (not including picture books) 2. Read one professional book a month 3. Have family "Read to Self" time  

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jessica has read 0 books toward her goal of 55 books.
hide
 

No comments:

Post a Comment