Pages

Sep 1, 2016

Friday Focus - Sept 2, 2016


Great Things I Noticed this Week:
*I heard many great parent comments on their way out from Open House about the excitement in our building. Many students were excited about little welcome "gifts" they brought home with them (i.e. balloon, popcorn, "rockin" guitar pencil). Several students were excited about getting a letter or a postcard in the mail from their teacher.  One parent told me how much she loved using 2 different photo booths to take back to school pictures and said, "You guys make back to school so much fun!"  What great ways to create a welcoming classroom for parents and students!
*One of our new students told me at lunch time: "I'm SO glad I came to this school, I just love it!"
*When I asked another student how his first day was going he said with excitement, "This is going to be my best year ever!" and then began rattling off all of things that were so great about his new classroom!
*I observed a handful of times that staff members were helping each other out (tech issue, needing copies, taking the others' class to specials so the other could make a phone call home, offering to cover a class, a couple of you helping out in the ms/hs). Your teamwork is amazing!
*Teachers working together in their grade level team to look at student data in EduClimber.
*I know that we always talk about Dodgeland Pride and I was amazed by how much I've already seen/heard this part of your classroom discussion with your students.
*To go along with our social media efforts and the above mention, I even saw #DodgelandPride on a class rules chart.  I saw several teachers already posting great Open House and first day of school pictures to their classroom Facebook pages and Dojo feeds. As I saw this picture below shared on Twitter (in reference to the book, The Innovators Mindset) I just had to share it with you, because #DodgelandPride is about our community!!



REMINDER FOR TODAY -- Please come and join us for an ice cream social after dismissal in the commons. This is a great chance for us to connect with one another and share our celebrations from the first 2 days of the school year.  :)






Events Next Week:
Monday -please enjoy a relaxing labor day, because I know you have been laboring a lot to get ready!!!

For your future lesson plans, please mark down:
*Monday, Sept 19 Student Picture Day
*Tuesday, Sept 20th kick-off assembly for the fundraiser. Time TBD


"Nuts & Bolts" Notes:
*I know you're just waiting to get started on MAP testing. I will have the assessment window calendar ready for you by Tuesday so you know when you can start testing. Feel free to start F&P if you feel like your class already has the Daily 5 stamina.
*Check-In on Bucket Filling: Have you read a Bucket Filling book to your class to talk about the concept?
*If you cracked open the iPad case, have you started talking about the Code of Conduct for Technology?
*Check-In on Launching Writers Workshop:
    • Do you have materials figured out and placed in easy to access spots? Do your students know where they are?
    • Have you started teaching those routines that will help keep the mini lesson mini and the active engagement efficient/effective? This includes transitions to the carpet (possibly assigned carpet spots), teacher cues to signal your writers, partners for the active engagement, etc. 
*If you are looking for additional resources to help you talk about Growth Mindset with your students, Class Dojo has a nice series of videos HERE.

Blogs, Tweets & Pins...Oh My!!!
*If the video of J-Mac in our staff meeting captured your heart, then you might enjoy the follow-up video of where he was 5 years later: J-Mac Five Years Later. His coach continues to have a connection and allow him to make an impact....much like how I see many of you still connecting with former students, evidence of the impact you made on them in your classroom!

Click HERE to read the article









No comments:

Post a Comment