Pages

Oct 11, 2012

Friday Focus


Just a reminder that starting today, my posts have been switched so the Friday Focus will be giving you all of the events to plan ahead for next week!

Great Things I've Noticed this Week:
*Keeping a stamina chart for Read to Self and Work on Writing. What a great idea to track both while building reading/writing stamina in the classrooms.
*Many great ideas shared among teachers in the grade level meetings.
*In a writing mini-lesson the teacher put on a hat (her "writers hat") while writing and thinking out-loud for students to hear what was "going on in her brain" while showing students her writing process. Such a great idea for students to see/hear what it is like for writers in the process.
*4th graders explaining to me how they are rounding and checking for the exact answer. It was very different than how I've previously seen it taught (I was confused at first since I missed the lesson), but the students I asked explained it well and it made better sense than previous strategies I've seen. I know this math program is quite different, but I'm seeing some incredible thinking going on!


Events this Week:
Monday-Elementary PD Meeting (training on the Documentation Log for the Effectiveness Project) at 3:05 in the Media Center. You do NOT need laptops or your guidebooks this time. If you miss this meeting, you will need to go to the MS/HS meeting on Wednesday at 3:05.
*Monday is also the date that the survey growth plan is due in OASYS. Please let me know if you have any questions/issues or don't think it will be done in time.
Tuesday-Google Calendar refresher training at 3:05 in the Media Center with Mr. Modaff
Wednesday-Google Calendar training at 7:30 in the Media Center with Mr. Modaff (please go to the one of these)
Thursday-EC/4K Field Trip
Friday-5th grade field trip, 4K playgroup at 1:45 (open to the public)

"Nuts & Bolts" Notes:
*I will be out of the building Tuesday/Wednesday presenting/learning at the AWSA Convention. Is anyone available to cover my recess or lunch duty on Tuesday? Please let me know if you can.
*At the PTO meeting last night they discussed plans for the PTO Craft Fair/Bake Sale on Saturday, October 27th.  They are seeking any help they can get (they have all different shifts throughout the day). Please let me know if you're interested in helping. If you can't help, I would highly suggest marking it on your calendar for a good holiday shopping day--there's always great vendors there!

Blogs, Tweets, and Pins...Oh My!
*Have you ever heard your students say "I have nothing to write about?" (Did you just laugh, because you've heard that too many times?) Heres a great blog post addressing that issue: Ways to Support our Striving, Disengaged, and Reluctant Writers. 
*Great site for a picture of the day to spark ideas for writing: Twisted Sifter
*"Don't be so worried about the mistakes of yesterday that you miss today's opportunity for success." @LeadToday
*Wegivebooks.org is a site that lets you sign up for a free account and view many great books online. Looks like a great resource to use on the whiteboards, computers or SMARTBoard. I don't think it reads it to you like tumblebooks though.






































No comments:

Post a Comment