Pages

Oct 14, 2012

Monday Musings - October 15

Now with my posts switched, I didn't think "Memo" was the appropriate title for my weekly post sharing my reflections with you all, so it is now my "Monday Musings."


In last week's DailyCafe Tip of the Week Newsletter I found a series of Leadership Support articles on how principals can support teachers while implementing Daily 5/Cafe (too bad they weren't written before when we were starting!).  One of the articles was on what to look for in classrooms that indicates Daily 5/Cafe is being used. As I read through the list I reflected on how well you have all implemented Daily 5/Cafe in classrooms and that I could have written the article myself based on what I see in your rooms each day!

Here's the short list of what to look for from the article (if you want the details on each bullet point, just ask and I'll share the full article with you)...

What to look for in a Daily 5 Classroom:
  • I-Charts
  • Book Boxes
  • Brief focus lessons
  • Stamina graph
  • Student behavior
What to look for in a Cafe Classroom:
  • Cafe Menu
  • Student ownership
  • Individualized instruction
  • Academic language
  • Academic success
The final bullet point, academic success, is evident in our reading data.  But what our data cannot show is that we are creating readers at Dodgeland.  Our students aren't reading because we require them to or give them incentives to read; they read because they enjoy reading and they enjoy learning.  This wouldn't be possible without your passion and modeling of your love for reading and learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment