Pages

Oct 20, 2013

Monday Musings - October 21, 2013



I have always shared this article with new teachers on the Phases of First Year Teachers, however, I've always found that I went through these phases as a veteran teacher and still now as a principal. The difference is that I know to expect these different phases of the year and that I will make it through each one.  I don't know about you, but I don't even need to look at this graphic to know that we're to the "survival" point of the school year (although I would have to add that to a few other places in the year too!)  

The key to the survival phase is to make sure that you are taking care of yourself, because you can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself first.  I appreciate the thoughtful time you are putting into preparing for Parent/Teacher conferences and that you will have great conversations with your students' parents to inform and involve them in their child's learning.  I realize that this means you have a couple of late nights  this week so please make sure to make time for yourselves this weekend to relax or do whatever it is that you do to rejuvenate. (For me-it will be reading the 3rd book in the Divergent series that comes out on Tuesday!)

Some other great tips to avoid teacher burnout can be found HERE in this post.  Here's the shortlist of tips:
  • Ask for help
  • Don't sweat the small stuff
  • Don't play the teacher at home (I struggle with this one!)
  • Take time for yourself
  • Remember why you teach


No comments:

Post a Comment